Flexible Benefits Spending Accounts

Your paycheck reductions for the spending accounts will start on the 15th of your first full calendar month of employment. For monthly payrolls, the full reduction will be taken once per month after your first full calendar month of employment. Your monthly contribution is calculated by dividing your annual goal amount, up to the annual FSA maximum for each account you are enrolled, by the months remaining during the plan year. You may submit claims for services that take place on or after the first of the month, once you’re enrolled and you’ve completed one full calendar month of employment.

The IRS rules and the rules of the Employee Benefit Plan Council designate eligible expenses. The Employee Benefit Plan Council interprets these rules and makes all decisions about an expense’s eligibility.

Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA)

The Health Care Flexible Spending Account helps you save tax dollars on the health-related treatment you and your family receive.

Some of the eligible expenses include:

  • Deductibles and copayments not paid by your health or dental insurance
  • Costs for procedures not covered partially or fully by a health, dental or vision plan
  • Specialized equipment for disabled persons
  • Preventative care screenings
  • Contact lens and glasses.
  • Laser eye surgery
  • Prescriptions
  • Mental health services
  • Physical therapy
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Other IRS-approved expenses

A few examples of expenses that are not eligible include:

  • Cosmetic procedures/drugs
  • Electrolysis
  • Hair transplants
  • Herbal supplements
  • Insurance premiums
  • Nicotine patches and gum
  • Nutritional supplements
  • Teeth whitening/bonding
  • Vitamins

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)

The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account lets you use tax-free dollars to pay for the care of your children under age 13 (or other IRS-eligible dependents) while you and your spouse work or go to school full time.

Some features and rules:

  • Childcare services may include your cost to send a child to preschool, after school or nursery school.
  • Expenses are provided for eligible dependents of any age who can’t care for themselves because of a physical or mental disability. A person qualifying for this type of care must spend at least eight hours a day in your home.
  • Elderly dependent care may include your cost to send a dependent parent to an elderly daycare facility or to have someone to care for them in your home.
  • If you’re married, you and your spouse must be either working or a full-time student during the time the care is received.
  • You must include your dependent care provider's name and tax number or Social Security number on your tax return.


Contact HealthEquity/WageWorks customer service at 1-877-924-3967 to help you determine your Flexible Spending Account (FSA) plan options.