How to Dispose of Surplus Weapons

State entities in possession of firearms and other weapons they wish to dispose of must do so in coordination with the Surplus Property Division. Surplus weapons may be redistributed, traded in for new weapons, or in some cases, gifted to officers upon retirement. Weapons may not be disposed of through public sale.

This type of surplus property is handled on a case-by-case basis. The process begins by submitting a Surplus request in AssetWorks. One common request is to trade old weapons for new ones through a contracted statewide vendor. This is processed as a Vendor Return following these steps:


Only agencies with the primary function of enforcing state or local laws, whose compensated officers have powers to apprehend and arrest, are eligible to receive surplus firearms or other weapons for law enforcement purposes.