How to Acquire a Vehicle
If you only need a vehicle for a short time, you may choose to either rent one or receive reimbursement for personal vehicle use. If you need a vehicle long term, you may choose to either lease or purchase.
Consider your agency’s situation and needs. Make a financial comparison using the information below.
- For trips starting in Georgia, you can rent from Hertz or Enterprise via the statewide contact. Out-of-state rentals must be booked through Hertz.
- Use the Rental Vehicle Cost comparison tool to find the best option for your agency.
- Click on your preferred rental agency from the Rental Vehicle Cost comparison tool to begin your transaction.
- See vehicle rental FAQs.
If you have long-term vehicle needs, you’ll need to determine whether it’s financially better to lease or purchase one.
Lease: Compare the cost of leasing to purchasing to demonstrate which is a better deal. Include lease terms, number of years, and financial obligation per year in the documentation using the Leasing a Vehicle flowchart.
Purchase: Get a price quote, vehicle availability, and specs using dealer information from a Statewide Contract vendor (SWC), or review the vehicle requirements with your Agency Procurement Officer (APO). See the Purchasing a Vehicle flowchart. Or,
- If your vehicle of interest is not offered on a statewide contract, review the vehicle requirements with your Agency Procurement Officer (APO) and obtain a waiver from the State Purchasing Division to bid for the vehicle. Your APO will bid for the new vehicle in the Team Georgia Marketplace and execute a contract with the selected supplier.
- If you decide to use the AMIGI (Automobiles made in Georgia Initiative) contract option to purchase a vehicle, have your APO obtain separate bids from 3 Kia AMIGI contract dealers.
Use the Fleet Management System to create a vehicle request form. Upload the vehicle specs, pricing (quote/bid), waiver (if vehicle is not on statewide contract), and justification for non-compliance for maintenance and fuel requirements, if applicable (per Policy 10).
Monitor your request in the Fleet Management System as it moves through the approval process.